Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Father's Day Approacheth!

So, what do you give the man who has everything? Food, of course! This is what my dad gets on his birthday and Father's Day and he goes crazy over it (that means he gives me a half smile and says, "Well, thanks Aim."):
I think this is a Paula Deen recipe, but not sure as my meemaw is the one who gave it to me. I know it's rich like Paula Deen's food and my grandma is a big fan of hers, so I'm assuming. I KNOW it's a sure-fire crowd pleaser.

Banana Pudding:

Ingredients:
2 packages Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookies (do yourself a favor and don't try to replace these with Nilla Wafers)
1 can sweetened, condensed milk
1 12 ounce tub of cool whip
1 large box of French Vanilla Instant Pudding (I can never find the 5oz boxes, so I get 2 of the small boxes and guess at combining them to 5 oz)
6-8 bananas. (the more the merrier)
1 package of cream cheese.
2 cups of milk

Directions:
-In a very very large bowl - I can't express how important it is to take me seriously on this - YA NEED A BIG BOWL - combine the pudding powder and milk and use a blender to blend it smooth.
-In another medium bowl, blend the cream cheese and condensed milk until smooth and then fold in the whipped cream.
-Take the cream cheese, whipped cream, condensed milk mixture and pour into the bowl of pudding, mixing it all together until smooth and evenly blended.
-Cover the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan with a layer of the cookies. (you can also use 2 of the small square cake pans instead and give 2 gifts or keep one for yourself).
-cover cookies with a layer of sliced bananas
-cover bananas with a layer of the pudding mixture
-layer of bananas
-layer of pudding mixture
-layer of bananas
-cover with remaining cookies and put in fridge.

You can't make this up very far ahead because, of course, the bananas start to turn brown. (unless you are really little miss suzie homemaker and decide to soak them in lemon juice first. That's not my style - I don't have a style).

I swear to you, make this for ANYONE (who doesn't hate bananas) and they will be begging you for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment