Friday, April 3, 2009

Avoiding the Mundane

I mentioned earlier in the week that I would like to take a little time on Fridays to try and find simple ways to improve life. I know I sometimes realize I am in a rut, living a completely mundane existence. Figuring out how NOT to do this can be very difficult for me (and strange as I am, I can't imagine I'm the only one). The problem, I think, is now heightened by the fact that the economy is in a bit of a slump and we might need to find things to do that will not cost money. So, let's start with something simple and free and something I believe with all my soul:

As I was watching the Twin Towers crumble during Nine Eleven, my heart, like everyone else's, was breaking. That became a life-changing day for me. I'm the type of person who gets really scattered (think Adult ADD) and can only calm myself by boiling things down to their simplest forms and that's what I did that day. I had to get a handle on my emotions, so it was very important to me that I get to the root of what was bothering me the most. This is what I realized:
On a daily basis, people lose loved ones. On a daily basis, people passionately regret the last encounter they had with the loved one they just lost. Maybe they didn't take the time to hug them. Maybe they were running late and they were irritable and they said something hateful. Maybe they did nothing at all, thinking they would get around to it later. There are a thousand different scenarios that could cause that kind of regret. It has been my goal, every day since Nine Eleven to make sure that doesn't happen to me or to someone I love. So, this week, I am proposing that you make sure it doesn't happen to you. If you find that you are running too late in the mornings to really focus on your children or spouse or parents or whoever you should be focusing on, set your alarm for an earlier time. Get up, get ready and then spread the love!
Remember that, even if you are mad at your husband because he forgot to take the trash out, you still love him. If you have to say, "Honey, I'm pissed about the trash, but I sure do love you," then say that.
Chances are, you will not lose anyone today. Won't it be great to know that you made someone feel special and loved and important?

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful and so true post...I think we all get wrapped up in day to day stuff and need to slow down and realize what really matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and helping me get over 100 comments on my blogiversary!! You made ME feel special and important! :)

    ReplyDelete